How do I stay motivated?

The 80/20 rule

We’re convinced that ‘cheats’ are an integral part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle. However, a ‘cheat’ means different things to different people. For some, it means eating a ‘greasy meal’ or an unhealthy snack or two. For others, it means taking an occasional break from an otherwise physically active day to laze about and do nothing at all. Cheats can be heaven but being able to enjoy them guilt-free as well is essential. The 80/20 rule provides a system that allows you to incorporate and enjoy those cheats in life without letting ‘indulging in life’s pleasures’ take over.

What is the 80/20 rule? 

This rule reflects a genuinely healthy lifestyle, one that allows a little indulgence from time to time to prevent the infamous yo-yo effect (huge weight fluctuations due to alternating between ultra-strict diets and no diet at all). According to the 80/20 rule, you give your body healthy food and plenty of exercise 80% of the time. You can take a more relaxed approach for the remaining 20% and cheat, in what you eat or by being slightly less active. When you ‘cash in’ your 20% is up to you. Just remember, there’s no rule that says you have to cheat!

Here’s a sample scenario we can recommend. Approximately six days a week you stick to the 80% described above, while you reserve one day a week for cheat meals or taking it easy. For example, you could schedule a regular day at the weekend. Or you could cash in your 20% on a weekday when you grab a bite of something slightly less healthy to eat with a few colleagues. Why not test the rule out this week (or for a few weeks) and share your experience with your colleagues?


Looking for inspiration and motivation? A participant is happy to share her experience!